People Who Have Inspired Me IV, Steve Jobs-Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish



"I have Stayed Hungry, Foolish and Crazy"

Very often in our life, we do not realize how deeply someone has impacted our life, till the person is no more. No wonder they say that a man’s worth is known after his death.

Today as I came to know about Steve Job’s passing away many of his quotes flashed through my mind. I suddenly realized how strongly Steve has inspired me, how interwoven Steve’s quotes have been in my writings and how, many of Steve’s quotes had given me the courage to take huge risks in life.

Some people spend years with you, become your role models and provide encouragement face to face. This is quite understandable and the bonds have a logic and explanation. But some people who you never met, can touch your life so miraculously is something beyond explanation.

The second highest readership of my Blog comes from USA after India and the second highest source of my inspirations also comes from US after India. I never wanted to settle in USA but I have always respected the American dream, the American spirit, the melting pot and openness and of course the ‘I Can’ spirit. 

Steve’s quote which has touched me the most, is actually inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and Steve said it right in front of Gandhi’s statue. “Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Steve you may have never known, but you changed the world for the better, gave courage to innovate and discover the deepest passion to millions like me. And many more millions will realize your impact on their lives in the days to come.

Steve you have given me the courage not to waste my life living someone else’s life. Your words have always echoed in my ears, 


"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Steve you have reinforced my belief in karma, though it slows me down often and listening to the conscience all the time is not an easy task in the dark ages we live in. 


“You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path.”

Steve, I am a believer in simplicity like you and I have experienced the difficulty in being simple.  


“That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”

Once I wrote on Facebook, “I don’t care when I will reach the peak, but I want the very best, the Mount Everest. I have listened to my heart against the wishes of my mind and stayed hungry, foolish and crazy. ” You will keep inspiring me always. You shall always live in the memories of millions through your pictures, videos, quotes and so on. Like you said, I kept looking till I found it. 


Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”

Steve Jobs-The Master Storyteller

" I worked at NeXT the summer of 94. I was in the break room with 2 colleagues when Steve Jobs walked in and started making a bagel. We were sitting at a table eating ours when he out of the blue asked us "Who is the most powerful person in the world?" I said "Mandela" since I had just been there as an international observer for the elections.

"In his confident fashion he stated "NO!...you are all wrong...the most powerful person in the world is the story teller." At this point I was thinking to myself "Steve, I love you but there is a fine line between genius and loco..and I think I am witnessing this right now".

Steve continued, "The storyteller sets the vision, values and agenda of an entire generation that is to come and Disney has a monopoly on the storyteller business. You know what? I am tired of that bullshit, I am going to be the next storyteller" and he walked out with his bagel."

And not only he became the next storyteller, he became the master storyteller, amongst the best in the world ever.

(Shared By-Tomas Higbey,a former NEXT employee)

Thanks Steve for being the ultimate inspiration, you shall be missed yet remembered through your quotes.

If I have to summarize your philosophy in a single sentence it shall be, “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish, and Even Stay Crazy to change the world.”

Watch the "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" speech on Youtube

Image courtesy: rediff.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Branding, An Introduction

An Uncomfortable Soul- A Short Story

How Introverts like Guy Kawasaki & Pete Cashmore are changing the rules of the game with Online Branding?