PM Narendra Modi is My Inspiration


In a previous post, I had talked about how PM Modi’s inspirational storytelling approach had inspired me to create 7E model of Storytelling. (7Es of storytelling include Empathy, Emotional connect, Edutainment, Evocation, Eloquence, Energy and Engagement)

Once we have learnt required knowledge, skills and attitudes (KSA) for a profession, the next natural step is to communicate our values, strengths and offerings to the target audience. This process is usually called brand building. A brand built without required KSA has a shallow foundation and will not survive long. (In fact, such a process is image manipulation and not brand building)

From Branding, the journey to Bonding, the destination

Year 2014. I came across a news report about an investment summit in Gujarat and the quote of PM Narendra Modi (Then Gujarat Chief Minister), “Bonding is more powerful than Branding”.

The connection between branding and bonding took me by surprise and I began to research more about the connect. I believe an average human being is like a half glass full. The half empty part is base feeling (what’s in for me or I, me, mine) and half full part is higher emotion (beyond self i.e family, community and society). 

Modiji’s quote had got stuck in my sub-conscious and few days later, I brainstormed and came up with a punchline which represents my life philosophy, "Branding is just a journey, Bonding is the destination". This also became sub-title of our book "Personal Branding, Storytelling and Beyond", which has been an Amazon Bestseller for more than an year now.  

Lessons in Bonding

A very challenging question came from a C level executive recently. He asked me, "Why do you talk about from 'Branding to Bonding'? Why not use the reverse, from 'Bonding to Branding'? We should build relationships with people and then take their help in building reputation."

I had to google whatever little grey matter I have and replied, "Branding assists in communicating our values, interests and competencies, which helps in finding the like-minded people for bonding. Also, Branding is a self-oriented lower emotion and Bonding is an altruistic higher emotion."

I continued, "And we need to evolve from lower emotions to higher emotions in my view."

After my storytelling lessons, now I am taking lessons from PM Modi on bonding. “Mann Ki Baat” program on radio is a good example of how the PM is trying to connect with citizens emotionally. Listening to the followers is symbolic of great leadership. And bonding is the ultimate thing a leader can do. Modiji has often broken his security ring to interact with children and to bond with them.  

In fact inspired by bonding concept of PM Modi, I have written a series of blog posts on LinkedIn such as, “Goodbye Networking, Hello Bonding” which have garnered a very enthusiastic response.

A Man on A Mission


(Image Source- Mint)

After Bonding what comes next?

So PM Modi, is there a destination beyond bonding or is it the end of the human journey? Or "Moksha from all the bonds" is the final destination in the human journey?

Modiji, I await your answer. 
------------------------------

Brief Profile

Dr Amit Nagpal, PhD is a Business Storyteller, Keynote Speaker and Digital Storytelling Coach. He is one of the pioneers of digital storytelling in India. After working for more than two decades in media and communications (including publishing, television and digital marketing), he realised teaching is meditation and storytelling is his Nirvana.

He tweets at @DrAmitInspires. To connect / follow on social media, visit about.me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Uncomfortable Soul- A Short Story

How Introverts like Guy Kawasaki & Pete Cashmore are changing the rules of the game with Online Branding?