"Generosity is Yoga" and Other Stories of Wisdom

Mini Stories on Wisdom and Love

Generosity is Yoga

"Do you think generosity is rewarded? I see selfish people succeeding all around me and not the ones with "giving attitude"", she asked him.

"Yes generosity is rewarded. But the Universe decides when and how. One cannot be generous and then expect immediate rewards. Generosity is yoga, an exercise in patience with invisible benefits. No wonder it is not everybody's cup of tea", he replied.

"Tell me one benefit that you have received by being generous", she continued her interrogation.

"Generous people are always sought after as friends, colleagues, partners and so on. They don't need to chase relationships and rather pull people. That has been my benefit and has boosted my self respect too", he replied.

"And reward.....yes it comes as a surprise at an unexpected time", he added as an afterthought.
-------------------------

More stories than you can ever tell

"I don't really have a story to tell", she told him.

"I have more stories than I can ever tell", he replied

"So I better get into the listening mode", she asked.

"Your choice. Telling mode or listening mode or one following the another", he was prompt.
--------------------------

The Accidental Entrepreneur

His destiny itself was written by a series of accidents, literal and otherwise. He had lost half of his leg in a bike accident a decade ago. Even now, every time he saw a motorcycle, it would remind him of the trauma.

He had applied for government jobs twice in reserved category. Unsuccessful attempts they were as destiny had some other surprising plans. He had become a forced introvert and wanted to live in his own comfort zone.

Yet there was an entrepreneur in him which he never took note of. Actually so many times he had escaped death that he had no fears left. Even crossing the zebra line can sometimes be hell of a job on Indian roads. And two wheelers had stopped with a screeching halt twice as he limped to make his way.

They say a man who does not fear death often ends up as the greatest entrepreneur. He had an unmatched, inspiring zeal for life which also helped. And circumstances unfolded dramatically, one incident after another had put him on entrepreneurial journey unexpectedly. Now he called himself the "accidental entrepreneur" and yet had become an inspiration for many.

Strange are the ways of life. Much stranger are the human stories.
------------------------------

The Constant Reminder

"How come your life changed so miraculously in just few months?", she was curious to know.

"I completed the jigsaw puzzle of my life as I found the missing piece", he replied.
"And what was that missing piece?", she asked.

"Gratitude. And to give myself a constant reminder, I have placed a half glass full on my table", he replied.

"It reminds me to look at the positives in my life and people. I always focus on what is available and ignore what is missing. I always think of what I am blessed with and express gratitude for that", he continued.

"Yes heartfelt gratitude opens the door to miracles", she nodded in agreement.
------------------------------

The Enlightened Husband

"How can you be so hard hearted? I have never come across an emotional rock like you", he sounded pissed off.

"Try to understand where I come from. My dad was such an emotional rock", she replied unperturbed.

"And why was your dad such an emotional rock?” he was still baffled.
"Because he was brought up by his hard hearted uncle and not by his mother", she had a heart wall difficult to break into.

"So where do we go from here? So you will remain like this only?", he felt like giving up.
"Yes unless an unconditionally loving soul melts me down", she was clear about everything.

"But I am yet to become an Enlightened Buddha", he retorted.

"May be you will become 'Thus came one' because of me", she smiled and left.

Sometimes you don't even deserve the credit for your greatness. Did life give you any other option after all?

(All characters appearing in the stories above are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. © 2016, Dr Amit Nagpal )
-------------------------
Brief Profile

Dr Amit Nagpal, PhD is a Business Storyteller, Keynote Speaker and Digital Storytelling Coach. He is one of the pioneers of digital storytelling in India. After working for more than two decades in academics, and corporates (including publishing, television and digital marketing), he realised teaching is meditationand storytelling is Nirvana.

He is also Chief Inspirational Storyteller at AL Services. AL Services has co-created stories of some of the most inspiring people in India & abroad. He tweets at @DrAmitInspires. To connect / follow on social media, visit about.me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Uncomfortable Soul- A Short Story

Personal Branding, An Introduction

How Introverts like Guy Kawasaki & Pete Cashmore are changing the rules of the game with Online Branding?